Well, with only a few hours left of the month of May, I have finished Asterope, May’s challenge shawl. It is not a difficult pattern, the charts and instructions are clear, and the finished article stunning, so why did I have so much trouble with it?
I paced myself on this one, working on a couple of baby blankets and taking a sock knitting class in between knitting this lovely lace. I like that the laciness really stands out against the stocking stitch body. But perhaps I paced myself too much; I should have cracked on with it and at least started the final chart before I got complacent and had a rest! By the 28th May, with only 3 days left to go, I started having trouble with chart E. The row repeats were well nigh impossible to memorise, so I end up having to recheck (and rework) each segment, making for very slow knitting. And I still managed to lose my way, particularly in the two edge segments! I didn’t really enjoying that bit at all, or perhaps I was just tired and frustrated.
I think I finally worked out why I was finding this so difficult. I rely heavily on stitch markers to keep me on the straight and narrow, but for most of the rows, especially on chart E, it is necessary to move the markers every pattern row, making counting and rechecking essential. I prefer repeats where the markers definitely help in keeping track. That said, this is a beautiful pattern, and I love the colour of the yarn. I feel that this month I have been challenged!
June’s Challenge Shawl
For June’s shawl I have selected one of Verybusymonkey’s Scientist Collection shawls, Tesla. This shawl has a solid stocking stitch centre with only a hint of lace on the border, and I think it will be perfect for a variegated yarn that I have had in my stash for a year now. I shall be using Wharfedale Woolworks Yorkshire Rose BFL sock yarn hand-dyed for the 2014 Flora Sock Yarn Club; its name is Petal Storm, a pale blue with a lot of varying shades of pink rippling through it.